Thursday, October 14, 2010

'When in Rome'...

Ciao a tutti! Greetings from Bella Roma...


Well, it's hard to believe that I am actually back here- almost one year minus a couple of days- since I was here last time!! And yes, I can confirm... Rome is still as beautiful as ever...


This visit felt a little different as I had the insider's view, getting around with some 'friends of friends' (as you do) who were true 'Romans'. All of a sudden, the city opened up to me many of it's little local hang out spots that I'd normally miss out on as a tourist searching for the main city sights...

We visited Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta, which is where the Priorato di Malta stands (the guard quarters for the original guards of the Vatican- the Knights of Malta) and has a perfect view across Rome to the Vatican. In fact, this building was built so that if you look through the main key hole, the doorways and archways are all aligned so that you can see straight through the building, allowing for a perfect view of the Vatican (if that's what you're into?!)... The visual effect is pretty cool!

Through the key-hole of Priorato di Malta!
Just next to this piazza, there is a gorgeous orange grove where we enjoyed a picnic lunch, surrounded by roman pine trees (pinus pinea) and the scent of citrus under a warm summer's sky! This was one of my favourite moments in Rome...
Roman Pine Trees

When approaching the famous spots in Rome, it seemed like we always stubbled upon them from some obscure, back entrance that only a local would know. Everything of course is 'approachable' or 'normal' for the Romans but for me it was like- 'How did we just go from some random back alley to IL COLOSSEO??!!'

We arrived at the Roman Forum just as the sun was going down & Il Colosseo was glowing pink in the sun!
And after a year we are still here to talk of love... (Pretty cute!)
Piazza del Popolo
One night we were driving around trying to find a park... Guess where we scored the perfect parking spot?? In Piazza Navona!!! Such an every day thing to do in such an amazingly beautiful and somewhat spectacular place!!

Another highlight (or should I say THE highlight) was catching up with il miei belli amici, Bek & Miche!! There's nothing like a 'casual' rendezvous in a foreign city with good friends... 'So where should we meet on Saturday night?'... 'How about Piazza Navona?!'... 'Si, certo! Ci vediamo presto!!' hehe... And so it went! I found my buddies sitting in front of Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi by Bernini, soaking in the atmosphere of the beautiful Roman Baroque style piazza. Although we only had the one night to hang out, we made the most of it... Good company, amazing food, wine, gelato, architecture, history & warm weather... What more could I ask for?!

Bek & Miche
Now would be a good time to mention the (slightly) hidden away eating spots, one of which we visited on numerous occasions called 'Navona Notte', that rocked my world... A big thank you to my local guides Ana & Andrea (Ciccio) for the fantastic food tours!
Andrea & PP at 'Navona Notte' testing out the amazing cozze!
Ana & Andrea took us to Anguillara Sabazia (a town in the Roman country side near Lake Bracciano) for some deliziosa local antipasto & vino!

Ok, slight side point... In Sydney I was attending an Italian course at Italia500 and I think the eccentric owner of the business, Giacomo, must be Roman because there were so many references to Rome in the dialogues. One of the dialogues we had to learn was 'Un tavolo per due per favore!' which incorporated many useful phrases for ordering dining out in Italy... All the dishes that were mentioned were 'piatti classici della cucina romana' (classic Roman cuisine)!! 

I had a funny moment one day when I went to see Eat, Pray, Love (Mangia, Prega, Ama) in Italian... haha! An Australian living temporarily in Italy, watching an American movie dubbed in Italian about an American in Italy... It was quite entertaining!! 

The part where she was in Rome was like reliving my Italian class! There were many great eating scenes- I love the pizza scene in Napoli- it's so true! There's another part where she orders for everyone in Italian. She orders bucatini all'amatriciana, carciofi alla giudea, coda alla vaccinara (I think) and a few other dishes... I was like, 'Julia, you're stealing my thunder. This is what I've been practising!' Anyway, here's a cute clip from the movie... It's all about the food of course!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm7E81pVsiM

It was a quick visit but a great three days... I saw parts of the city I'd never discovered before, as well as the surrounding areas of Rome (surprisingly hilly and very pretty) such as Lake Bracciano & Anguillara Sabazia. And now it's time to say...

Buona notte, buona notte cara Roma!

Piazza Venezia 'a tramonto'...

No comments:

Post a Comment